[ntp:questions] Attn Linux distributors - pse include PPS

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Apr 29 10:42:10 UTC 2014

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> William Unruh writes:
>> Well, ntpd could include timepps.h into ntpd source and point to it,
>> instead of using the system one.
>
> Is there only one version of that file that is compatible with the
> places NTP will be built?  What sort of bit-rot issues are there if we
> include a copy of the file in the NTP distribution?

Maybe it would be sufficient to let the configure script print a summary
of features which would be included, and which not.

For example, if you forget to install the openSSL *headers* on a system
where openSSL is normally available then the NTP package will silently
be built without openSSL support, and when you use the resulting
binaries you wonder why things don't work as expected.

In a configure script for some other application I tried to build by
myself there was a summary line printed indicating which features would
be included, and which not, so I could see immediately that an optional
feature I was expecting was obviously missing, and could install the
required headers to have this optional feature supported.

In case of NTP under Linux at least the Linux capabilities, openSSL, and
PPS support come into my mind where a warning should be printed if these
features are not included simply because some header files have not been
installed on the build system.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki