[ntp:questions] Attn Linux distributors - pse include PPS

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Apr 29 14:17:29 UTC 2014

On 29/04/2014 14:33, Paul wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 12:12 AM, David Taylor <
> david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I would find it annoying to have to tell someone "Oh, but if you want to
>> pass on the time you need to uninstall what you have now and replace it
>> with the client/server version".
>

> Clearly there was confusion.  I said I recall a distro that had two
> packages.  E.g.
>
>   - ntp-common with ntpd built as disable-all-clocks
>
> and
>
> - ntpd-server with ntpd built as enable-all-clocks.
>
> viz. nfs-common.
>
> There was a time when such things were considered good practice.

Oh, I can see where there might be advantages for custom builds, for
embedded PCs where the RAM is very limited for example.  But the more
variants you introduce, the more opportunity for confusion there is, and
the more support effort is needed.

99% of my users don't use "distros", they expect a double-click to
install a package and make it ready-to-run.  Same with tablets and
phones, you don't need to choose the variant with or without camera
support, with or without GPS support etc.

--
Cheers,
David