[ntp:questions] Attn Linux distributors - pse include PPS

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Apr 29 15:24:13 UTC 2014

On 29/04/2014 15:35, Rob wrote:
[]
> But with a modular approach you would not need to rebuild to add
> a standard refclock, that would just be the installation of another
> package containing the precompiled refclock or refclock bundle.
>
> That is no different from having a program like Perl as a base, and
> a lot of packages containing Perl modules for specific tasks.
>
> The advantage would be that one can actually ADD an own refclock
> without having to go through long and painful discussions with
> package maintainers.
>
> Or in the case discussed in this thread, one could compile a single
> refclock that was omitted due to distributor oversight, and keep
> the remainder of ntpd standard and candidate for automatic updates.
>
> Even when the whole thing (ntpd and refclocks) would be distributed
> in a single package, it would be possible to add new refclocks to
> that.

I agree it sound nice in theory, but you need to find a mechanism which
is supported in all the operating systems which NTP supports, and
document how the users can add ref clocks.  To me, it's all completely
unnecessary - the number of folk /adding/ ref-clocks must be far smaller
than those /using/ ref-clocks!

--
Cheers,
David