[ntp:questions] Issues installing ntpd on Win 7

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Wed Apr 30 13:57:31 UTC 2014

A C wrote:
> On 2014-04-29 03:14, Martin Burnicki wrote:
>> If a DLL is missing then you will get an appropriate popup error message
>> telling which one.
>
> This might be it.  I chose not to install the OpenSSL library (unchecked
> the option in the installer) because I don't use any authentication or
> other crypto for ntpd.

Of course that's the reason.

When ntpd is compiled with default configuration under Windows then also
the crypto code is compiled in. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to
enable crypto at runtime via a configuration option.

If there is some code compiled in which calls openSSL crypto functions
then the openSSL DLL needs to be available when the ntpd binary is
loaded into memory. Otherwise you get an "unresolved symbol" popup error
when you run ntpd on the command line.

A workaround for this would be to have ntpd import the openSSL functions
dynamically at runtime, but probably the next version of the Meinberg
installer will just not allow to deselect the openSSL component at
install time.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki