[ntp:questions] LOCL clock reachability not 377?

Fri Aug 1 21:13:40 UTC 2014

Rob wrote:
> Martin Burnicki wrote:
>> In the example above the daemon could also just write
>>   the sync status to the SHM segment.
>>  Since the "noselect" keyword is given ntpd would poll
>>   it but not try to use it as normal refclock.
>
> Yes but if I remember well the SHM clock does not have
>  a sync status, only a timestamp can be written there
>  and a flag set that this has been done,
>  which will be seen by ntpd and reset again.

It has a "valid" int value?
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver28.html>

 Are you talking about needing something in addition,
 a Quality of Fix value (GPS, DGPS, PPS, RTK, ...)?

  could the SHM "value" be extended for values grater than one to implement this?

  ... some value scale 0, 1, 2-126

   where higher values are  a log2 seconds holdover (trust) value?

    {e.g. a Telcom PRC/PRS Rubidium Oscillator (72days) would be a 22 or 23?
           although those ITU/ANSI values seem conservative (to me)}.

  will be added to the BlackLists.