[ntp:questions] NTP+ NMEA +GPS +PPS

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Aug 12 08:19:20 UTC 2014

On 12/08/2014 09:02, HVZ wrote:
> hi
> I am somehow new to ntp. I am interested to sync a windows OS to GPS time.
>
> I have installed meinburg's ntp demon "ntp-4.2.6p5 at spider-man-2-win32-setup.exe" inside win_server2008.
>
> 1-Is it possible to use a GPS receiver module (which also has PPS) to sync the pc using installed ntpd ?
>
> 2-Dose NTP able to use NMEA massages +PPS signal to sync PC's time?
>

> regards

1.  Yes, send the PPS signal to the DCD pin of your COM port.  Usually a
TTL-level signal will drive an RS-232 COM port.  This is what I have on
one system for a Sure GPS/PPS source:

server	127.127.22.1	minpoll 4
server	127.127.20.1	minpoll 4  mode 18
fudge	127.127.20.1	time1 +0.335  refid NMEA

2.  Yes, like the arrangement above.

You will find more information (but not, perhaps, a step-by-step guide)
on my Web site.  I suggest updating to a more recent version of NTP and
Windows executables are also on my Web site.

--
Cheers,
David