[ntp:questions] LOCL clock reachability not 377?

Paul tik-tok at bodosom.net
Sat Aug 23 22:39:26 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 4:00 PM, Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:
> I didn't know that Rob was talking about the debian package stuff from
> ntp.org until he replied to that message.

Look for 'ntp-dev conflicts with ntp' from early this month.  Of
course there's going to be confusion when 99.99% of people think
ntp-dev means the tarball and the rest think it's ntp-dev.deb.

> I'd love to see folks step-up to maintain various distro packages,

I believe Steve Kostecke (who provided the buid assist in that thread)
makes the debs.

> preferably people who are on appropriate distro package teams.

The problem is if you don't have a deb build-bot then
ntp-dev.deb at ntp.org gets out of sync which defeats the purpose of
being on dev.

To carp yet again: you should add timepps.h to the tar ball and stick
to that.  Leave the package building to the distributions.  If people
want/need more current features they should learn how to build the
current dev source and you should make that a LOT easier by including
timepps.h for Linux because it's never going to be in Debian or
derived distros.