[ntp:questions] Number of Stratum 1 & Stratum 2 Peers

edstuart at gmail.com edstuart at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 01:59:24 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am looking to implement an NTP network and I was reading http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/DesigningYourNTPNetwork.  It suggests 4 stratum 1 peers and 4 stratum 2 peers well.  I understand, that the document recommends this so that if one of the servers in a stratum dies, there will still be 3 servers from which a majority clique should be found.  The problem is that we will be starting out with simply 100 nodes at most.
At the same time, we want drift less than 1 second.  However, over the next 7 years or so, we should hit ~ 1000 NTP clients.  Is the document's recommendation overkill for my situation?

Thanks,
Ed Stuart