[ntp:questions] Number of Stratum 1 & Stratum 2 Peers

brian utterback brian.utterback at oracle.com
Thu Dec 4 15:46:17 UTC 2014

On 12/3/2014 5:33 PM, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2014-12-03, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at computer.org> wrote:
>> On 12/03/2014 02:58 PM, Brian Utterback wrote:
>>> I still think that it takes four to
>>> guarantee a majority but I don't have proof of that. Someday I will
>>> spend some time to either prove or disprove it, but alas, time is
>>> something I don't generally have extra to spend. But you are better off
>>> with one than two from an operational standpoint.
>> It takes three servers *at all times* to enable clients to use majority
>> voting. So if you want to guard against a single failure (i.e. not a
>> single falseticker, a single server that goes offline), then you need four.
> Offline IS a false ticker. And no, you need three. In fact to gaurd
> against offline, you only need two. Guarding against falseticking is
> harder than guarding against offline. Just as it is harder to guard
> against a liar than a dead man.

I remain unconvinced. I believe that it takes three correct servers to
outvote a single falseticker, meaning that if you want to be safe
against one of your servers becoming a falseticker and still being
accepted as the system server by a client, the client needs at least
four servers.

Remember that a "vote" is not for a single offset, it is for a single
offset plus or minus the error, which in our case is the dispersion. Be
definition a truechimer is a server whose range of offset-disp to
offset+disp includes the actual time, while a falseticker is a server
whose range does not include the actual time. Now suppose you have three
servers, two truechimers and one falseticker, call them T1, T2 and F.
The actual time is a bit above the T1 offset, meaning it is in the
interval between T1off and T1off+T1disp. The actual time is also in the
interval T2off-T2disp and T2off, which is to say that they both overlap
with the real time but neither overlaps the other's offset.

Now imagine that the falseticker has a similar overlap with T1, but on
the interval T1off-T1disp to T1off. That interval does not include the
real time, so F is indeed a falseticker. So, we have a completely
symmetric situation, with T1 and F "voting" for an interval that does
not include the real time and T1 and T2 "voting" for an interval that
does include the real time. By what mechanism are we to presume that the
client will choose the interval that includes the real time?

--
Brian Utterback
Solaris RPE, Oracle Corporation.
Ph:603-262-3916, Em:brian.utterback at oracle.com