[ntp:questions] Number of Stratum 1 & Stratum 2 Peers

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Dec 5 09:55:06 UTC 2014

On 04/12/2014 20:03, Rob wrote:
[]
> It is not good practice to use "pool" on 100-1000 internal systems,
> presumably via NAT, to poll time from internet.
>
> Simple advice is: setup 1 NTP server when you are always monitoring,
> or 2 servers when you cannot always be on watch to fix the one server,
> and keep them mutually synchronized.
>
> That will work OK in a company.  Maybe not in the head of a thought
> experimenter, but that is normally not what companies are after.

I was thinking of the general user.

For internal systems I would want four servers minimum, two on-site, and
two on the company WAN, and that's what we tried to set up.  These were
not time critical systems, though.  The on-site servers would at least
have "pool" as a backup.  This was before the days of cheap GPS/PPS, though.

--
Cheers,
David