[ntp:questions] Red Hat vote for chrony

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Sat Dec 6 04:39:55 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-05, Charles Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2014, at 11:53 AM, William Unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote:
> [ ... ]
>>>
>>> This is obviously false.  What do you think /etc/ntp.drift is?
>>
>> It is the offset from the standard rate of the clock. That memory is
>> never used except on bootup. ntpd has to know how much to alter the
>> drift.
>
> Ah, so you acknowledge that your original statement was wrong.
>

> Just like your claim whether the chrony docs recommend using maxpoll=4
> across the network to a LAN timesource or not was wrong?

I have given you the quotes from the chrony docs. Where do you get your
statement from?

> Just like your claim about whether ntpd cares about figuring out the local
> clock frequency or whether it only chases the offset was wrong?

ntpd does not care about figuring out the local clock frequency. It
simply adjusts the frequency to minimize the offset. That is all it
does. Yes, the computer (or if you have a kernel which does not allow
you to adjust the computer's frequency ntpd) does have a frequency. But
no memory of that is kept. ntpd does not know what the frequency was
before it currently adjusted the frequency, and especially not what it
was 5 adjustments ago.