[ntp:questions] NTP roadmap (was Re: Poul-Henning Kamp and re-write of NTP)

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Mon Dec 8 03:00:56 UTC 2014

Rob writes:
> David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:
> > It starts off a bit badly by talking about the size of nptd, when, in
> > fact, very little of ntpd is actually involved in the core algorithm.
> > Most of it, I guess, is reference clock drivers, plus configuration and
> > monitoring code.
>
> It has been discussed before that reference clock drivers should be
> loadable modules or even separate processes.

A complete rewrite of the full NTP software is slated for post-4.2.8.

We're expecting (the names might be changed):

- tsc - Time Sync Client: a leaf-client.  PHK is working on this.

- an S2+ implementation that *might* also include refclocks
  and can be used on leaf nodes, much like the current ntpd.

- an S1 implementation that *might* also include S2 support.

For ongoing support of TSC and to implement the last two we're going to
need more financial support than we are currently getting.  Several more
volunteers (coders and sysadmin typs) would be great, too.

I'm about to send out another post about donating to NTF - the short
story is that if NTF can raise about $7,000 before the end of December
we'll be able to qualify for an additional funding source for 2015.

So that's 2 reasons for folks to join or donate to NTF before the
EOYear.  Please help us get there...
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>