[ntp:questions] Poul-Henning Kamp and re-write of NTP

Paul tik-tok at bodosom.net
Mon Dec 8 04:08:26 UTC 2014

I asked before but I'll try again since "tsc" has come up.

Mills says (Mitigation Rules and the prefer Keyword):
"The clock combine algorithm uses the survivor list to produce a weighted
average of both offset and jitter. Absent other considerations discussed
later, the *combined offset* is used to discipline the system clock"

phk says (20141107 - Probably Noon):
"In classical NTPD we always pick one server at a time, and steer our clock
only with the measurements from that server."

So which of these is correct?  Or does "classical NTPD" refer to an 18th
century version?  I know other people make the same assertion but I fail to
understand what they mean.