[ntp:questions] NTP roadmap (was Re: Poul-Henning Kamp and re-write of NTP)

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Mon Dec 8 05:18:57 UTC 2014

Paul writes:
> On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 10:00 PM, Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:
>
> > A complete rewrite of the full NTP software is slated for post-4.2.8.
>
> Is that a a rewrite independent of of LF funded work or what you hope will
> flow from the LF funded work plus the further development based on
> "matching" funds?
> That is to say, if you don't get any donations will there still be a
> complete rewrite?

The rewrite is scheduled.  If we get funding it will be done sooner.
If we don't get funding it will happen (much) later.

I'll point out that we've been on a slow countdown for 4.2.8 that has
gone on for *years* longer than any of us want.  That is because we have
had neither the volunteers nor the funds to pay for anybody to work on
it.  Having spent the last many years trying to drum up the level of
high-quality volunteer help we need, it became clear the easier(!)
battle would be to raise funds to pay for that level of dedicated
effort.  That is moving slowly too, but at least for a few more months'
time PHK and I have some funding from LF/CII and NTF has been created.
Before NTF existed there was no way to collect funds or to do much of
anything else beyond the basic NTP work.  That's changed now, and it's
my hope and expectation that with NTF's wider scope we'll be able to
make really good leverage between the projects NTF supports, and have an
easier time raising funds, too.  And we've had increasing revenues at
NTF every year.  They are still nowhere near enough to cover even one
full-time developer.

The funding PHK and I get from LF/CII contains no targetted funds - it
is a general stipend which mostly/partially covers general NTP
development for the two of us.

It does not cover any of my releng efforts, nor does it cover any
sysadmin or anything else that is not strictly ntp-development related.

It does not cover any hosting fees, hardware repairs or upgrades,
administrative costs, phone bills, travel or expenses for Standards work
or technical conferences, or anything else related to NTF's mission.

By definition, the stipend PHK gets is currently sufficient to cover his
current level of development work on tsc.  He has more time available,
but there are no funds to pay for that time.  I suspect (but do not
know) that he is putting in some volunteer time on this as well.

The stipend I get is enough to partially cover the *development* work I
am doing trying to get 4.2.8 out the door.  It does not cover *anything*
else, and I am putting in significant volunteer time towards getting
4.2.8 finished.  It doesn't cover any of my time to follow or reply to
email threads or do any "support" tasks, user or sysadmin or anything
else like that.

I am not yet getting paid for anything else I am doing for NTP or NTF.

This has not been long-term stable for a long time now...

Please help us keep Network Time operating they way you expect and need
it to perform.  Please join or donate - we've already gotten one
tonight, thanks, and please keep it up!
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>