[ntp:questions] Red Hat vote for chrony

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Dec 8 18:02:01 UTC 2014

On Dec 8, 2014, at 9:19 AM, William Unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote:
>> Data point: for a normal desktop machine I have at home, which has a
>> 95W TDP i5 CPU and a 145W 970 GPU, I can see a ~12C temperature change
>> on the motherboard temp sensor between idle and full load on both as the
>> total system draw goes from ~90 W to ~350 W, if I don't use air-conditioning.
>>
>> With air-conditioning on, the temperature change shrinks to about 5C,
>> which reduces the thermal wandering of the XO by a factor of 2.  That
>> seems to be a worthwhile improvement, not "largely irrelevant".
>
> I find that very stange. Does the temperature in the room really
> oscillate by 5 degrees if you run your machine? (Ie, you ascribe 5C of
> the temp change to the room).

With AC on, the room stays steady at 22 C or maybe goes up by one to 23 C.
With AC off and given several hours of load, the room temperature changes
from 22 C to maybe 25 C.

My computer is located at the opposite corner of the room from the AC;
if it were closer, it would probably show less of a swing....

Regards,
--
-Chuck