[ntp:questions] Number of Stratum 1 & Stratum 2 Peers

Mon Dec 8 21:22:03 UTC 2014

Martin Burnicki wrote:
> If the connection from your local site to the internet
>  has the asymmetry then *each* NTP server at a remote site
>  has the same additional systematic offset,
>  so if you use more than 2 they can overvote your local NTP servers.
>
> One of our customers had such a case,
>  and I've explained this in more detail in another thread recently.

I would have thought the WAN's additional delay,
 and increased jitter (as compared to the LAN)
 would have mattered more in the cluster algorithm,
 causing the internet servers to be tagged as outliers,
 if they were not close enough to make it into the cluster.

  Was the dispersion from the LAN servers higher than the
   internet servers, due to auto increasing poll times?

  will be added to the BlackLists.