[ntp:questions] NTP roadmap (was Re: Poul-Henning Kamp and re-write of NTP)

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Tue Dec 9 08:19:15 UTC 2014

"skillzero at gmail.com" writes:
> On Sunday, December 7, 2014 7:25:01 PM UTC-8, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> > A complete rewrite of the full NTP software is slated for post-4.2.8.
> >
> > We're expecting (the names might be changed):
> >
> > - tsc - Time Sync Client: a leaf-client.  PHK is working on this.
>
> Are there any plans to incorporate ideas from RADclock? The PLL that
> PHK mentions on his site implies a feedback model. I'm wondering if
> any thought has been given to a feed forward design (e.g. determine
> frequency based on raw ticks). Or was that model considered and
> rejected?

Not for ntp4, at this point in time.  I can see doing that for ntp5,
which we're already starting to think about.

And to sneak it in, we've had 2 decent donations and 2 joins since
yesterday - that puts us almost 10% towards our goal!

If you haven't joined or donated, please do, and also please tell other
folks about this.  We really need the support and every bit helps.

 http://nwtime.org/help-ntf-join-combined-federal-campaign/
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>