[ntp:questions] NTP & PPS, part 2 ;)

Sander Smeenk ssmeenk at freshdot.net
Thu Dec 11 21:57:47 UTC 2014

Quoting Rob (nomail at example.com):
> > Debian wheezy's packaged ntpd does include PPS support.  I am currently
> > running ntpd from that stable repository and running the ATOM refclock
> > (22).  The pps-tools package is also available in the repository for
> > direct installation.
>
> That must be new.  There was no PPS support in the Wheezy binaries a
> couple of months ago.  A bug about this was filed, but nothing happened.

Aparently all that is missing in the ntp package (in Ubuntu?) is a
Build-Depends on the pps-tools package to provide timepps.h in
/usr/include/sys/
This doesn't even introduce new binary dependencies. The pps-tools
package isn't needed after compilation so i dont see why this isn't
fixed yet. ;)

I'm done:
oPPS(0)  .PPS.  0 l  -  16  377  0.000  -0.001  0.002

I'm getting about that precision with my Garmin 18x LVC and 98 meters(!)
of cable length.

A big thanks to those of you that participated in this thread.
You might want to hear that i got it running now with ref clock 20 and
22. GPSd is no longer at play and i have the (what i call) "true" PPS
sync with 'oPPS(0)' in my peer list now.

-Sndr.