[ntp:questions] NTP & PPS, part 2 ;)

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Fri Dec 12 05:34:38 UTC 2014

William Unruh writes:

> It is one of those pissing matches. Ntp thinks the os should provide
> timepps.h, while the others think ntpd should provide it if they need
> it. As a result the users get screwed while the self-righteous can
> continute in glory. Just like with cdrecord.

Bullshit.

It's an OS-specific file that should be provided by the OS if the
underlying API exists.

We have a *sample* implementation that folks can see and perhaps use,
but implementors can and frequently do make changes to that.

We have a header file for the NANO time stuff, and the linux kernel
folks decided to change those - that caused problem for years.

If you disgree and think NTP should provide the file all the time, then:

- how do you propose we find out if the underlying API is really
provided in the currently-running kernel?

- what do we do in the situation where the OS provides the localized
(ie, correct) version of the header?  Do you *really* want to trust
#include "..." v. #include <...>, and make sure that this is something
that everybody who touches that part of the code understands, too?