[ntp:questions] NTP & PPS, part 2 ;)

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sat Dec 13 00:18:34 UTC 2014

Martin,

Martin Burnicki writes:
> Harlan Stenn wrote:
> > Martin Burnicki writes:
> >> IMO the best approach would be to detect this at runtime.
> >
> > That means we'd need a header file...
>
> It shouldn't be a problem to add this to the NTP code base.
>
> > If I'm not mistaken (and it's getting late for me), if the header file
> > is missing we don't expect the API.  If the header file is present we
> > expect it to "do the right thing" and even then we check error returns
> > from the API.
>
> What I meant is to build ntpd with the header file present, and then
> check at runtime (ntpd startup) if the API is really present.

Please look at the differences between timepps-{SCO,Solaris,SunOS}.h and
also whatever you are using on the OSes you have easy access to (*ix and
Windows) and let me know if you still think us providing this file is a
reasonable thing.  For extra points, see how the timepps.h equivalent on
each of these OSes has changed over the years, and how "life will be
better" if appropriate versions of that file live in *our* codebase
instead of finding them on the OS we're building for.  We can, of
course, expect updates to these files from a variety of sources in the
future.

It might very well be that we can separate some of these "parts" into an
"internal" and an "external" file, but again, we've been down this path
before with the MOD_NANO and STA_NANO stuff; why would we want to
*invite* this kind of difficulty in the future?