[ntp:questions] Number of Stratum 1 & Stratum 2 Peers

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Wed Dec 17 12:17:29 UTC 2014

Martin Burnicki writes:
> Rob wrote:
> > Unfortunately, the same mechanism isn't used for leap seconds.
> > There would be no problem at all when the system time ticked in TAI
> > and the addition of the leap seconds is done via some rule table similar
> > to the local time rules.  ntpd would not even be involved in the problem.
>
> Also agreed. However, actually ntpd expects UTC, not TAI.

One of the things I'm thinking about for NTP5 is systems that choose to
run in TAI and not UTC.  This is a natural tie-in with NTF's General
Timestamp API, as we need to know what timescale the remote system is
using.

This woud also handle the case of maintaining sync with a system that
chooses to implement Google's leap smear, or even one that wanted to run
on IERS-A time.
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>