[ntp:questions] NTP & PPS, part 2 ;)

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Fri Dec 19 01:00:56 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-19, Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:

> That file is OK as GPL2.  If it is ever upgraded and goes to GPL3, it
> will be *removed* from the distribution if it does not include a license
> exception.

Since I believe Linux has said that the kernel will always remain GPL2.x
it would seem  doubtful that timepps.h would go to GPL3.
Of course if it goes to GPL3 it might well be difficult to use it at
all, even if it is distributed with the kernel/linux distro.
Since it has a bunch of "inline" definitions, one could not even argue
linking with it. Any program using it would incorporate it into the
program at compilation.