[ntp:questions] 4.2.8 can't find timepps.h or can it?

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sun Dec 21 06:55:03 UTC 2014

A C writes:
> I'm trying to compile the new 4.2.8 tarball since the Debian source
> packages are broken and unable to compile due to various issues.
>
> I downloaded the new 4.2.8 from ntp.org, unpacked and ran the following:
>
> ./configure --enable-ATOM
>
> The script says it's unable to find sys/timepps.h however:
>
> # find /usr/include -name *pps*
> /usr/include/linux/pps.h
> /usr/include/sys/timepps.h
>

> The config.log says that it found it...:
>

> configure:27523: checking for sys/timepps.h
> configure:27523: gcc -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
> configure:27523: $? = 0
> configure:27523: result: yes
>
> [from the stdout]
> checking for sys/timepps.h... yes
>

> or maybe it didn't...:
>
> configure:28815: checking timepps.h usability
> configure:28815: gcc -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
> conftest.c:232:21: fatal error: timepps.h: No such file or directory
>
> [from the stdout]
> checking timepps.h usability... no
> checking timepps.h presence... no
> checking for timepps.h... no
>

> Fortunately it does compile and the ATOM driver works but it's awfully
> confusing when the configure script contradicts itself.

It doesn't contradict itself.  It finds sys/timepps.h.  This is
expected.

It does not find timepps.h.  This is expected.

The former lives in /usr/include/sys/timepps.h, as you note above.

The latter does not live in /usr/include/timepps.h, as you note above.

We both note that ntpd compiles and the ATOM driver works.