[ntp:questions] Restrict statements and the "pool" directive

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sun Dec 21 11:44:00 UTC 2014

On 21/12/14 11:24, Rob wrote:
> Anyway, I consider it a bug.  I don't want to lift restrictions to
> arbitrary systems selected from a pool.  So, out went the pool command.

Why do you want to specify pool servers if you want to restrict their
use so that you cannot use them?

When people say lift restrictions here, they mean lift those which
prevent the use as a server, not lift all restrictions.  Unless you hare
using a blunderbuss approach to restrictions, or using "ignore" you
should not be blocking the access needed to act as a client.

I think the original question on this thread is much more likely to be
due to a DNS problem than one in using restrict, as I cannot see
anything in those restrictions which would prevent client access to the
pool.