[ntp:questions] What to do for clients less than 4.2.8?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Mon Dec 22 10:27:58 UTC 2014

On 22/12/14 04:02, Paul wrote:
> And yet people apply critical monthly patches from Microsoft and Oracle all
> the time without running them through dev and q/a.

Not on business critical servers.  They may well apply them to general
purpose desk top machines, but even then, if they don't have enough
diversity, that can be a serious risk.

Also, what happens here is more akin to service pack, which is even more
likely to get extensive lab testing.

I'm not sure if I've had a Microsoft update break anything in my
non-critical system use, but I've certainly have had false positives
from virus checker updates causing damage which wasted a hour or two on
a  my home system, but if it had affected an important component on a
critical server, or even on all the company workstations, it would be
disastrous for the company.

Many businesses operate local repositories of Microsoft updates, not
just to reduce bandwidth.