[ntp:questions] Firewall requirements for NTP as both client and server

Garrett Wollman wollman at bimajority.org
Sun Dec 28 19:56:29 UTC 2014

In article <m7pm4l$oco$1 at dont-email.me>,
David Taylor  <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>On 28/12/2014 17:38, Paul wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 11:11 AM, David Taylor <
>> david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder whether this might be a firewall issue
>>

>> The first question is always: does it work with the firewall off?
>
>Very good question, but I couldn't find a way to disable ipfw!  I did
>say I am a complete novice at this....

If it was loaded as a module, "kldunload ipfw" should do it.  (Hmmm,
if and only if it's actually unloadable, which I'm not sure about.)

Otherwise, add a new rule at the very beginning that allows
everything.  (Unless you've rebuilt the kernel, ipfw is "default
closed" so you have to have at least one rule to pass any traffic at
all.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman    | What intellectual phenomenon can be older, or more oft
wollman at bimajority.org| repeated, than the story of a large research program