[ntp:questions] status information after ntpd -q

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Tue Feb 4 15:34:49 UTC 2014

joeri delvoy wrote:
> does sntp force the time of the system clock automatically when run as root,
> or do you need to add an optional parameter to do so?

You need the descriptions for the exact ntpd release for your
platform.

eg. NetBSD-6 i386, ntp-dev-4.2.7p410

By default sntp displays the clock offset but does not attempt to
correct it.

-S, --step directly sets the clock to the corrected time

-s, --slew offset correction by slewing using adjtime{}

I've no recent experience of using sntp, last time used was on
DOS (ND7) but from a local server running chrony with time set
from an infrequent dialup connection.

David