[ntp:questions] enable pps not working from ntp.conf

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Wed Jan 8 22:50:21 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-08, Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:
> Brian Inglis writes:
>> On 2014-01-07 09:55, Dennis Golden wrote:
>> > I have searched to find an answer to this problem with no success. I am
>> > using the oncore clock (127.127.30.0) and have included "enable pps" in
>> > ntp.conf, but I get the following in /var/log messages:
>> >
>> > line 59 column 8 syntax error, unexpected T_String
>> > syntax error in /etc/ntp.conf line 59, column 8
>> >
>> > I can use ntpdc to set this option with no problem.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>>
>> enable pps is documented in the miscopt.html command summary lines:
>>
>> enable [ auth | bclient | calibrate | kernel | monitor | ntp | pps | stats]
>> disable [ auth | bclient | calibrate | kernel | monitor | ntp | pps | stats ]
>
> Not as of 4.2.7p410.

But it is as of 4.2.6p5 even though it does not work there.

Ie, sometimes the documentation and the progam are not quite in sync.
(not entirely surprizing).
In this case it looks like someone tried to take it out of the docs, but
missed the "|pps|" in the line giving the options of the enable/disable
commands. They did remove the explanation of what this option means.