[ntp:questions] How is the NTP build tested?

romain.pontida at gmail.com romain.pontida at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 10:22:11 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm sorry if this has already been answered before, but how do I prove that the release of NTP included with your Linux distribution (using ntpd) is compliant to the NTP specification as defined in the RFC?

I have found a statement in v4.1 release notes ( http://doc.ntp.org/4.1.0/biblio.htm ) that says "this version is fully compliant with the previous NTP Version 3 specification and implementation defined in [ref to RFC]". I'm wondering whether there's any automated test that allows the development team to ensure this statement remains true with every new release.
I guess any implementation could be tested for synchronisation against the reference implementation, but how do you prove that the reference implementation is correct?

Thanks in advance