[ntp:questions] need option to ignore 'leap not in sync error'

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Thu Jan 16 09:15:16 UTC 2014

On 16.01.2014 08:00, Arjun Sanal wrote:
> The setup is a blade server, which has one master blade server which
> runs the ntp server. All other blades sync the time from this master.
> The master itself gets it time from a higher ntp server. The problem
> is when the master says that it is not suitable for synchronization,
> the client blades shouldn't reject it. If they, do all the blades
> will end up with different time.

FWIW, that's the prototypical case where I'ld turn the master's local
clock into a pseudo server (a la

	# Undisciplined Local Clock. This is a fake driver
	# intended for backup and when no outside source of
	# synchronized time is available.
	server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
	fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 7

), in spite of the problems it causes.

(*One* of the problems being that you'll need to ensure that the master
boots up with its time initialized sufficiently close to the true time
that the offset won't prevent it from syncing over to the real servers.
And/or that your monitoring will alert you when that happens.)

Kind regards,
								J. Bern
--
*NEU* - NEC IT-Infrastruktur-Produkte im <http://www.linworks-shop.de/>:
Server--Storage--Virtualisierung--Management SW--Passion for Performance
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt
PGP (1024D/4096g) FP = D18B 41B1 16C0 11BA 7F8C DCF7 E1D5 FAF4 444E 1C27
Tel. +49 6151 9067-231, Zentr. -0, Fax -299 - Amtsg. Darmstadt HRB 85202
Unternehmenssitz Weiterstadt, Geschäftsführer Metin Dogan, Oliver Michel