[ntp:questions] NTP request retry?

Rob nomail at example.com
Mon Jan 27 21:45:22 UTC 2014

Rick Jones <rick.jones2 at hp.com> wrote:
> Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca> wrote:
>
>> You don't specify which system and devices you are using,
>> so here are a couple of articles about changing ARP timeouts:
>> http://www.embeddedsystemtesting.com/2013/01/arp-timeout-value-for-linux-windows.html
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949589
>
> And if indeed these are all the OP's own systems, he can add
> hardwired, "permanent" ARP cache entries via the arp command (under
> most *nixes at least).

I'm still not sure if ARP is really the problem, but fixing the
clients to maxpoll 6 seems to cure it.
(at least the reach now sticks at 377)

> If a mix of wired and wireless is involved, if there is some way to get
> traces at the point where the two join that would be goodness.

If both would be WiFi, I would point at the WiFi.  However, one is
connected to the wired network (a switch where the server is connected
as well).

I can ping it as much as I like, no loss:
1571 packets transmitted, 1571 received, 0% packet loss, time 20468ms

But when ntpd is allowed to climb to 1024-second polls, it gets almost
no replies.