[ntp:questions] NTP request retry?

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Jan 28 15:53:36 UTC 2014

On 28/01/2014 11:24, Rob wrote:
[]
> It is all Linux.  Both client and server.
>
> I can reproduce the ARP issue on cisco routers and switches.
> The first outgoing ping always fails.

I've also seen this when pinging a freshly booted Raspberry Pi (Linux
3.6.11) from Windows (7/64).

I can't reproduce it after the first ping, but the RPi cards are on a
LAN with a 32-second poll interval, likely keeping the network alive
subsequently.  The most recent time this happened was with a Wi-Fi
equipped Pi, and I'm not sure whether or not I've seen on my one
remaining LAN-hosted RPi. Between PC and RPi:

Motherboard 1 Gb/s LAN
8-port Netgear GS508 switch 1 Gb/s
one port on TL-WR1043ND router (DD-WRT software)
one port on Netgear WNR2000 wireless router (as access point)
Edimax Wi-Fi USB adapter on the RPi

... in case it matters.  I don't recall seeing it on a Windows-Windows
connection, but I don't reboot the Windows PCs very often.

--
Cheers,
David