[ntp:questions] Indirect GPS time source options

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Wed Mar 12 19:59:29 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-12, Olivier Drouin <ol.drouin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>       I'm located in Canada and I'm trying to find indirect GPS time sources.  I like the idea of using CDMA as a time source but it seems that this technology will not be around for a lot longer.

What is an "indirect gps timing source"? How does that differ from using
ntp to go to a level 1 server which gets its time from gps. While cdma
uses accurate time, it is not really designed to deliver accurate time.
GPS is.

>       For exemple, Endrun Technologies sells the Sonoma N12 which seems to allow time synchronization against CDMA signal without the need for a carrier subscriptions.

And a gps receiver with PPS output is probably 1/100 the price.

>        Is the CDMA method still available with these other cellulare network technologies like HSPA or LTE? If not, do I have other options beside a GPS antenna with a sky view?

CDMA also needs an antenna with cell tower view. What's the difference?
(Note my gps on an east facing window through a large cedar tree works
just fine.)