[ntp:questions] IEEE 1588 (PTP) at the nanosecond level?

Tue Mar 18 01:44:18 UTC 2014

On 3/17/2014 6:37 PM, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
> Joe Gwinn wrote:> Magnus Danielson wrote:
>>>
>>> The state of the art is not yet standard and not yet off the shelf
>>> products, if you want to call it PTP.
>>
>> This is my fear and instinct.  But people read the adverts and will
>> continue to ask.  And some customers will demand.  So, I'm digging
>> deeper.
>>
>> Are there any good places to start?

You might want to look at
<http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA538755>
AN NTP STRATUM-ONE SERVER
FARM FED BY IEEE-1588
Richard E. Schmidt and Blair Fonville
Time Service Department, U.S. Naval Observatory
14. ABSTRACT
For the past 16 years, USNO?s Network Time Protocol (NTP) stratum-1 servers have been synchronized to
its Master Clocks via IRIG-B time code on a low-frequency RF distribution system. The availability of
Precise Time Protocol (PTP, IEEE-1588) host-based interfaces will enable the deployment of NTP servers
fed by IEEE-1588 over conventional Ethernet networks. This paper describes a PTP GrandMaster/Slave
network which maintains synchronization of internal (stratum-0) NTP reference clocks to within tens of
nanoseconds. The configuration of a PTP network and the effects of various PTP configuration options are
demonstrated.

  will be added to the BlackLists.