[ntp:questions] Graphing NTP bandwidth usage?

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Thu Mar 27 13:23:31 UTC 2014

On 27.03.2014 10:50, questions-request at lists.ntp.org digested:
> From: "Jason Rabel" <jason at extremeoverclocking.com>
>
> One of the graphs of particular importance to me was where they showed
> NTP specific inbound & outbound bandwidth.
>
> For the life of me I can't figure out how they did it though.

Too many possibilities to list, I'm afraid. :-} Since I'm dealing almost
exclusively with Linux servers, *I* would have the NTP packets matched
by iptables ACCESS rules on the host itself (in whatever detail you'ld
like to see in the final graphs), read the rules' counters in regular
intervals (using cron, MRTG, Nagios, whatever), and graph from there.

... we *are* talking about the *NTP peer's interfaces'* bandwidth, not
the totals at your Internet uplink, aren't we ... ?

Regards,
								J. Bern
--
*NEU* - NEC IT-Infrastruktur-Produkte im <http://www.linworks-shop.de/>:
Server--Storage--Virtualisierung--Management SW--Passion for Performance
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt
PGP (1024D/4096g) FP = D18B 41B1 16C0 11BA 7F8C DCF7 E1D5 FAF4 444E 1C27
Tel. +49 6151 9067-231, Zentr. -0, Fax -299 - Amtsg. Darmstadt HRB 85202
Unternehmenssitz Weiterstadt, Geschäftsführer Metin Dogan, Oliver Michel