[ntp:questions] Problem facing with Ntp client Configuration

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Thu Mar 27 16:51:36 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-27, David Lord <snews at lordynet.org> wrote:
> Biswajit Panigrahi wrote:
>> Hi Mayer,
>> I have done the required changes. I have found one problem regarding condition field in ntpq
>> When ever I have restarted ntpd on client and executed ntpq "as"
>> atcafs-n11s2:~# ntpq
>> ntpq> as
>>
>> ind assid status  conf reach auth condition  last_event cnt
>>   1 45503  9044   yes   yes  none    reject   reachable  4
>> Condition field shows "reject" for more then 15 to 20 minute then after it changes to "sys.peer" after then only sync happens.
>>
>> I have opened the port 123 for ntp. Still it shows reject
>> Please let me know reason for this to fix the issue
>
> Why do you believe there is an issue to be fixed?
>
> Ntpd takes a certain amount of time to sync after a restart.
> You could add a few more ntp sources. Three sources are not
> enough, four is good, five is safer.

Why not 4397523 servers? Even better.
Use 1 if you want. The problem is, what if that one goes down or goes
crazy. If it is yours fix it. If not, use another. 3 guards against one
going crazy. As you up the numbers you guard against more and more going
crazy. But since the probability of one going crazy is low, you may just
decide to live with it.

> One of my servers, ntp-dev 4.2.7p433, was restarted on Mar 15:
>
> time   remote  st  reach   offset
> 18:36  oPPS     0    377   -0.001
> reboot
> 18:42   PPS     0      0    0.000
> 18:48  oPPS     0     37  -60.233
> 18:54  oPPS     0    377   -0.004
> 19:00  oPPS     0    377   -0.001
>
> Other servers without pps take a few minutes longer to sync.

It depends on the poll interval. pps has a 16 second poll interval. Most
others have a 64 sec initial poll interval, simply so as to not put to
much stress on the server. If it is your own server you can stress it
all you are comfortable with.