[ntp:questions] Time of by 4 min

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 29 20:54:11 UTC 2014

On 3/14/2014 12:10 AM, David Taylor wrote:
> On 13/03/2014 17:48, greg.wayne.smith at gmail.com wrote:
>> That's a pretty slick program just from looking at the page. I will
>> play around with in and see. I tend to not install any 3rd party apps
>> on my DC's though.
>>
>> I did mine the old fashion way by just setting the registry settings.
>> Basically this for Windows servers: http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/use.html
>>
>> I have never had any issues till about 3 weeks ago.
>> My server is not slowing losing time... It's a solid 4 min off for the
>> past 3 weeks.
>
> Some versions of the Windows Time Service are broken - e.g. they get a
> time update once a week.  I strongly recommend using NTP from the
> Meinberg install set and updating to the latest development version,
> especially on your DCs.
>
> [Caveats: I haven't used the Windows Time Service for many years, and I
> believe it is a little better now, and I don't run a domain.]

If you really need accurate and reliable time, forget about getting it
from the internet!  It will do for catching the bus and/or the train!

I get the time from earth atomic clocks in earth satellite clocks with
atomic clocks on board.

I've been retired for about nine years and no longer need to make all
the clocks agree.  It's just habit! :-)