[ntp:questions] NTP startup question

scherniak at stny.rr.com scherniak at stny.rr.com
Mon Nov 17 14:00:23 UTC 2014

I was messing around with my NTP configuration, and I wanted to make sure that the server changes were valid, so I would make sure that NTP was down, jump the clock, change the configuration, and restart NTP. The first 2 times I did this, the clock synched within a matter of seconds. The third time I did this the clock did not synch for 7+ minutes. Does the repetitive starts cause this to happen, or are there other situations when NTP will not do an initial synch quickly. To the best of my knowledge, the servers configured were all available during this period. I did not see anything unusual in the /var/log/ntp. I am running redhat RHEL 6.5.

Thanks,
Steve