[ntp:questions] Adjust serial device speed in ACTS refclock driver?

Rich Wales richw at richw.org
Mon Oct 6 00:22:35 UTC 2014

Is there any way, in the ACTS refclock driver, to specify the speed at which
the modem's serial port should be opened?

The source code (ntpd 4.2.7p475) appears to use a hard-coded speed of 19,200
bits/sec (ntpd/refclock_acts.c, line 138).  I was unable to connect to the
NIST time service at all -- the service picked up the line, but I heard a lot
of chaotic noise (suggesting a futile attempt to negotiate a connection) until
the driver eventually timed out and hung up.

I can connect without any problems at all, however, if I dial up manually
(using "cu -s 1200 -l /dev/acts0").

I changed B19200 to B1200 in the ACTS driver, and the resulting ntpd was able
to connect and get valid time info from NIST.  But I'd prefer a solution, if
at all possible, that doesn't require changing the source code.  Any thoughts?

Rich Wales
richw at richw.org