[ntp:questions] NTP server not reducing polling interval on upstream hosts

Hrant Dadivanyan hrant at dadivanyan.net
Sun Oct 19 10:59:32 UTC 2014

 [snip]
> >I could put my current version binaries into a Zip file and upload it
> >for you to try, if you like.
>
> I just tried that, with the binaries of ntp-4.2.7p364_2 and
> ntp-devel-4.2.7.p411.
> Ntp crashed and burned when attempting to start - it looks like they
> rely on later libraries, which only a proper install will give me.

Using libmap (see man libmap.conf for details) you can tell ntpd to load
existing version library instead of expected, but missing one.

First, check with ldd what libraries ntpd depends on and which one(s) it's
unable to find/load. Then look for existing version of that library in /lib,
/usr/lib and /usr/local/lib . And finally edit /etc/libmap.conf .

HTH,
Hrant

> I'm glad I'm testing all this in a virtual instance of the real
> machine, instead of the real machine itself.

Hrant Dadivanyan (aka Ran d'Adi)		hrant(at)dadivanyan.net
/* "Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes." */       ran(at)psg.com