[ntp:questions] ntpdc is not working in ntp-4.2.8p1

Kashif Mumtaz Tahir ktahir at ies.etisalat.ae
Mon Apr 6 08:42:29 UTC 2015

Hello Folks,
Currently we have NTP server ntp-4.2.4p8 provided by Redhat RPM on RHEL 6.

We want to upgrade it either by RedHat Provided latest RPM package (
ntp-4.2.6p5 ) or by installing from source compile ( ntp-4.2.8p1 ).

We tested both upgrade ( on test machine of course) and facing the issue
that when we do install ntp-4.2.8p1 package from source , ntpdc commands are
not working. Below is the output

Code:

# ntpdc
ntpdc> monlist
localhost: timed out, nothing received
***Request timed out
ntpdc>

But ntpq -pn and ntpdate etc working fine and clients able to sync time with
this server.

We are using below guidelines for compiling NTP
 <http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/basicnet/ntp.html>
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs...icnet/ntp.html

below is the ntp.conf file.

Code:

# cat /etc/ntp.conf
server 213.X.X.X iburst
server 195.X.X.X iburst

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
logfile /opt/ntp/ntp.log
restrict default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict -6 ::1

logconfig =syncevents +peerevents +sysevents +allclock
statistics clockstats cryptostats loopstats peerstats sysstats rawstats

Any idea why ntpdc is not working ??