[ntp:questions] NTP offset doesn't change.

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Feb 13 17:54:20 UTC 2015

On Feb 12, 2015, at 11:21 PM, Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen at tmsw.no> wrote:
> I've considered packing some insulation around the crystal, this would tend to stabilize (while also increasing) the temperature, but this would also be likely to reduce its lifetime, and the motherboard would probably conduct heat too well.

The standard AT cut crystals are designed to be most linear at or around 25 C.
They wouldn't be as accurate at much higher temperatures, but they don't mind
high temperatures the way capacitors do.

OCXO generally uses SC cut crystals which were designed to be most stable around
75 C, which is too hot for caps to have a long life (especially electrolytics).

Regards,
--
-Chuck