[ntp:questions] PHK on Ntimed and Chrony

Paul tik-tok at bodosom.net
Sun Feb 15 17:22:53 UTC 2015

I'm not completely convinced this is relevant to this list but I'm loath to
paraphrase, restate, summarize or condense the Ntimed notes so quoting PHK <
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8781435>:

"I'm not keen on saying too much about Chrony, I'd rather let people
without a stake in the game provide comparisons.

But obviously: if I had throught it was just the thing, I wouldn't have
started writing Ntimed.

I also don't expect Ntimed to out-compete Chrony, and if it did, I'd have
to start a fourth alternative myself, to keep competition healty.

A very large part of NTPDs problem was that there were no competition,
which meant that everything got crammed into NTPD, come hell or 300KLOC.

We saw this also with GCC, which had become a stagnated arrogant monopoly,
and suddenly LLVM forced them to care about users again.

Having competing projects is good thing, and I hope Chrony sees things that
way too."