[ntp:questions] Pool server gone wild

Roger invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Feb 20 19:19:43 UTC 2015

On 20 Feb 2015 17:49:15 GMT, Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:

>Roger <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 12:45:54 +0000, Roger
>> <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>After about 11 minutes it has dropped one, leaving 6 servers.
>>>I'll continue to monitor and report back.
>>
>> Just to recap, I now have this in my ntp.conf:
>>
>> pool 0.uk.pool.ntp.org
>> pool 1.uk.pool.ntp.org
>> pool 2.uk.pool.ntp.org
>> pool 3.uk.pool.ntp.org
>
>Why not just:
>
>pool pool.ntp.org
>
>That should be enough.

I did have just one line "pool uk.pool.ntp.org" but the rogue
server didn't get dropped even after 27 hours. I included the
"uk" to try to make sure that the servers were as local as
possible. Without that they could be anywhere in Europe.

Terje made the suggestion about too few servers. DNS returns 4
IP addresses at a time. By having four lines ntpd could have 12
different IP addresses returned if it used all four lines.

As I'm not capable of going through the source code and trying
to work out the best strategy I have to do it by trial and
error.
--
Roger