[ntp:questions] Linux NTPd using a older Trimble Thunderbolt GPS Receiver

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sat Jan 17 02:32:34 UTC 2015

Oceanos Admin writes:
> Hi:
>
> We were looking to use an older Trimble Thunderbolt 8 channel GPS
> receiver for providing a Stratum 1 time reference. I realize this is
> discussed on the ntp.org web site but sadly, the link to Trimble to
> get the driver (any any ntp driver) are now all dead links.
>
> We have it connected to a Linux host running Linux (RH 6.6) and we see
> the receiver. However, it is not providing any useful data to for the
> NTP application to use. We have used the configuration examples in the
> ntp.org site.
>
> When you do a ntpq -p, you see the source but it is never used
> (lacking the "*" to indicate it is active as the primary
> reference). We do understand the Trimble Thunderbolts can not be
> "polled" since it is lacking any firmware that supports it.
>
> # ntpq -p
>       remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitt
> er
> =
>   GPS_PALISADE(0) .GPS.            0 l    -   32    0    0.000    0.000   0.0
> 00
> *kona.xxxxxxx.xx 216.218.254.202  2 u   81  128  377    0.491    3.889   0.59
> 9
>
> Is there anyone with the prior experience in getting these older
> Trimble units to work? Most of the information dates back to the early
> 2000's or so.
>
> Our desire is to get away from using an external Internet based public
> NTP site to limit possible security issues.

First, you can try opening a bug report using the "refclock - palisade"
component.

Next, you could try using -dd to see what sort of debug output you get,
and mess around in refclock_trimble.c .

If all else fails, there are a number of decent and inexpensive USB GPS
pucks out there that might do well for you, instead.
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>