[ntp:questions] NTP client with 4 servers lost sync

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Thu Jul 2 01:09:53 UTC 2015

Hi Nuno,

"Nuno Pereira" writes:
> Hello,
>
> Following last night's leap second, we had some issues with our NTP
> servers, especially in a clients with 4 servers configured, but not in
> clients with 1 source configured.

We do our best to describe how to choose the right number of servers.

4 is not a good nuumber - you really need more than that.

Also, if you are using a fixed set of servers and you do not control
them you need to make sure you know how they will behave during leap
seconds.

It's also much easier to maintain a leapsecond file now than it was
before.

We're working on a system to analyze ntp.conf files and make
recommendations on how to improve an ntp.conf file.  This is a HUGE
project and it will probably not be usable until at least late this
year.
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>