[ntp:questions] NTP Hardware Support

David Garijo dgmangas at live.com
Mon Jun 22 10:54:07 UTC 2015

Hello,

I've been thinking of the possibility of adding hardware
support for NTP so that it can timestamp the packets sent and received more accurately.

An example of this would be to overwrite the timestamp of
 the packets (by hardware) right before sending/receiving them with the actual time of departure/arrival if a "hardware support"
 option is enabled (like some kind of timestamp unit).

It sounds
as if I would need to modify the project heavily, so I suppose the best
and most realistic approach would be to add a new option to the (Linux)
kernel instead of rewriting the ntp programs offered.

The
 code for the NTP daemon (ntpd) is quite complex, so I'm not quite sure
how nor when the packets are sent/received/timestamped. On the other
hand, as far as I've noticed, sntp uses libevent and recvfrom/sendto to handle the packets, so I tend to think that maybe I should start by taking a look at sys/socket.h instead of worrying about anything ntp related. Any suggestions? Do you know of an ideal file/function that I should edit?

Thanks,
David G.