[ntp:questions] Synchronize distributed PCs with GPS 1 PPS and NTPD for OWD measurements

A C agcarver+ntp at acarver.net
Tue Sep 22 15:39:40 UTC 2015

Most GPS units like that MR350P require a ground plane under them to
actually receive properly and have better performance (they are meant to
mount on a vehicle with a metal roof).  Try putting a very large square
of aluminum foil (or get an inexpensive aluminum foil baking pan or
pizza pan from the grocery store) under it.  Run the wire through a hole
in the foil so the mushroom top of the MR350 sits flush on top of the foil.

This applies to all GPS units that are meant for mobile operation if you
are intending to use them in a fixed location (especially any that have
magnetic antennas).  The only type of GPS that works for a fixed
application are those specifically designed for pole mounting at fixed
locations because they have internal ground planes or the antenna.  Some
marine GPS antennas fit this requirement since many boats roofs are made
of fiberglass and not aluminum or steel like the roof of a car.