[ntp:questions] Use ntp orphan mode to sync time two stand-alone computers

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Mon Aug 15 09:38:26 UTC 2016

On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 09:28:52PM -0400, Jason Beach wrote:
> I have two arm-based Linux (ubuntu 14.04) computers, a Jetson TK1 and TX1
> that will fly on a multicopter and hence have no internet connection (they
> are networked together onboard).  They also do not have RTC's built-in but
> I have added a smll external one (https://www.adafruit.com/product/255) to
> the Jetston TK1.  The TK1's time gets set on boot from this RTC no problem
> (using a `sudo hwclock -s -f /dev/rtc0` in rc.local).  I am trying to get
> the TX1 to sync to the TK1's time using ntp.

If you need to sync one machine to another, you should use the LOCAL
driver (127.127.1.0) and not the orphan mode. Orphan mode is for cases
where a server should be automatically selected from a group of
unsynchronised servers. In your case only machine can be a server (the
one with RTC).

--
Miroslav Lichvar