[ntp:questions] How to specify interface for multicastclient

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Thu Jan 14 04:03:05 UTC 2016

On 1/13/2016 4:30 PM, brian utterback wrote:
> I am sure this has been asked before but I can't find the answer. On a
> multihomed system, is there anyway to specify which interfaces you want
> multicastclient to listen on? If so, how. If not, why not? I would have
> expected it to listen on all interfaces, but it doesn't do that.

Unfortunately no. The server tries to figure out which interface to use
and sometimes it's wrong. I've had development code to allow admins to
specify in the config file where to listen but that's not in the current
code and I'd need to rework it to get it in there. I'm not sure you can
bind more than one interface to a multicast address as you are asking as
I don't think that the O/S would allow it. Does Solaris all something
like that?

Danny